Re: true grits / Re: Where can I find real-life-examples about ORACLE installations?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:34:40 -0700

> > I guess I'm saying that I can't recall starting with a completely
> > normalized database ( just 3rd normal form here ) and then denormalize if
> > we found it necessary for some reason.
> >
> > We've usually have had some denormalization in as soon as we started
> > doing physical modeling. Sigh.
>
> Well, why would you *not* want to denormalize during design? It seems
> to me that (theoretically) ***if*** you are doing "structured"
> denormalization correctly, that is exactly when you would want to do
> it, no?

Unless you detect a performance problem, why denormalize at all?

We always have folks that want to denormalize because they *think* there will be a performance problem. This usually occurs because they think that joining 3 or 4 tables will be too slow.

We're talking strictly OLTP databases here. Joins for OLTP are usually quite fast, and performance problems won't be fixed by denormalizing.

I once worked on a database that had to do a number of rather complex joins in an OLTP database, with a hard limit of 9 seconds for the response time.

That 9 seconds was from the time a pharmacist hit a key on a terminal in the pharmacy. During that 9 seconds the data had to be routed to a clearinghouse in Atlanta Georgia, sent to us, used to adjudicate a claim and send a response back to the pharmacy through the same network.

The average adjudication was 1.5 seconds if I recall correctly, and this was on a fairly normalized database. Only one table was highly denormalized, and that was nobody could figure out a reasonable way to normalize it. Not sure if I could yet. :)

Anyway, it was fast, and on fairly modest equipment: A DG Aviion with first generation Clariion disks, 512 Meg of Ram and 4 CPU's.

This may be different for really large OLTP databases with a very high number of users, but I've never had the privilege of working on one that big. e.g. Amazon.com, etc.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com