Re: Parallel Query Option

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:44:21 -0700

No need to worry about striping from Oracle if your data is on a logical volume of multiple drives.

Say your volume is made of of 5 physical drives, you could use a parallel degree of up to 10 on a partitioned table.

WIth only 4 cpu's though, that's not advisable. It also depends on the load your system currently has. If your CPU's are currently averaging over 60% busy, I wouldn't be too anxious to add PQO to the mix.

It will also eat up a lot of memory, upto ( number_of_cpus * parallel_degree ) * 10 - 15 meg of RAM.

If you can experiment with this at a time when the users will let you have it ( like the weekend. sorry :) you can alter the parallel degree on the table in question and fire of some queries, and then compare performance to the results obtained without PQO. Assuming your box has the resources to deal with PQO of course.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com