Home Grown Partitioning

From: Scott Crabtree <scott_at_psscorp.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:30:35 -0700

To ORACLE-L tuning Gurus:

Running Oracle 8.1.7.0.2 on W2K

I have a query involving a partition view, but I can't seem to get it to filter partitions. Even though I join it to a table with rows that join only to one of the view's underlying tables, it persists in performing the union-all and then hash-joining the result. But this is very inefficient; when I join the query to the single underlying table, it runs ten times faster.

Other queries using this partition view properly filter partitions, but for some reason, we have a query which is refusing to behave.

I have tried the USE_NL hint (to prevent the hash-join) and the INDEX hint, but neither have worked.

We have
partition_view_enabled = TRUE in the ini file.

Any Suggestions Would be greatly appreciated. (We can't run Oracle Enterprise Edition
and therefore can not use Oracle Partitioning)

Thanks, and
Sorry for the long post

(I didn't include the query because it make this post even
longer, if anyone would like to see it I will email it offline)

Scott Crabtree

Professional Software Systems

Author: Scott Crabtree
  INET: scott_at_psscorp.com