RE: Single Code Table or Separate Code tables dilemma

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:21:21 -0800

I hate to be picky, but I don't like either of the solutions proposed below. For the first solution, that means that I would have to have the repeating values 'SPLT' and 'TYPE' in every row of the DOCTOR table, which is a table with a lot of rows in it.

For the second solution, I have to have a table that contains every possible combination of SPLT and TYPE.

Both solutions seem to be wasteful and clumsy. Please don't take this as a direct criticism of you, but I still don't see how a single code table can be implemented well using FK relationships.