Re: Oracle_In_NT !!!

From: Donald Bricker <Donald.Bricker_at_epa.state.il.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:33:36 -0800

Here is an excerpt from Metalink

2.- Starting database via SVRMGRL or SQL*PLUS

     Problem:
     Launching svrmgr, or attempting a connection in sqlplus to start up the
     database, you get an ORA-12560

     Solution:

- If the drive is NTFS then check the permissions on the drive or
oracle home to be sure SYSTEM has full control on all subdirectories and files.
- Be sure the instance is started Goto
Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Services and check if the database service is started.
- Be sure the ORACLE_SID is set in the registry correctly. Goto
Start button-->RUN-->type regedt32--> Goto the following directory tree within the registry - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> ORACLE - highlight ORACLE - look on the left side look for ORACLE_SID = <sid> To change you can highlight ORACLE_SID - right click on your mouse and select modify. Enter the SID. The above is only valid when using DEFAULT_HOME, when you have another home then you need to highlight that HOME under ORACLE key usually HOME1-HOMEx
- No spaces can be entered after the = when setting ORACLE_SID
at the DOS Prompt, set oracle_sid=xyz should be used and not set oracle_sid = xyz.
- If you have verified that ORACLE_SID is properly set, and the service
is running, yet you still get an ORA-12560, then it is possible that you have created an instance with a non-alphanumeric character. The Getting Started Guide for Oracle8i on Windows NT documents that SID names can contain only alphanumerics, however if you attempt to create a SID with an underscore or a dash on Oracle8i you are not prevented from doing so. The service will be created and started successfully, but attempts to connect will fail with an ORA-12560.
- If doing the above and the error still occurs on a new instance
creation then the createdb scripts did not run correctly. Explanation: An ORA-12560 using svrmgrl on WinNT is usually an indication that the OS system/environment is not set up correctly.

Don Bricker
Information Systems Analyst
Illinois Environmental Protection Agency 1021 North Grand Avenue East
Mail Code #32
Springfield, IL 62794-9276
Donald.Bricker_at_epa.state.il.us
(217) 558-2290

>>> "Jackson Dumas" <tjaros_at_webmail.co.za> 03/23/01 03:50AM >>> Hi there

I have a problem when I install Oracle 816 on NT. I have done it twice before amd it worked, that was Oracle 805 and 806. Now I am trying to install and create database on NT, Oracle 8i version, 816. I get the error ORA-12560, which protocol adapter error, whenever I try connect to server manager. At first I thought it's because I created the database with the option during installation. I tried to install software only and then use scripts to create the database manually, but I get the same error. Can somebody help me?

http://www.webmail.co.za the South-African free email service WIN R10 000 by registering for free online options for EasyMoney in http://www.easyinfo.co.za/easymoney/wmindex.asp - Easy Does it - Now!!!
Author: Jackson Dumas
  INET: tjaros_at_webmail.co.za