RE: redo log timing

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:01:03 -0800

The reason I proposed the question is the rule seems to deal with databases which have a constant transaction rate. Ours are highly variable. I've gone with keeping the median within 15 and 30 minutes. Our logs are 200MB and can switch as often as a once per minute to as seldom as once every 3 hours. I am familiar with all the benefits and drawbacks of small and large redo logs. I also assume that a catastrophic lost of the online acrtive redo log which is taking three hours to fill is no worse that losing one which takes less than a minute to fill.

I don't compress the archives, I back them up and then delete them via cron; not necessarily the best approach.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Acclerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

Author: Rodd Holman