RE: Tables and indexes on different disks

From: Koivu, Lisa <lkoivu_at_qode.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:17:23 -0800

Mike,

It becomes more of a problem with inserts/updates.  If you update a column that is indexed, or insert a record, the table is updated and the index is updated simultaneously.  If the table and index(es) are both on the same disk, you will see contention.

Of course there are "exceptions" to the rule.  The one I am aware of is if your database resides on EMC disks.  The underlying cache can minimize contention.

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL  33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933
C: 954.658.5849

http://www.qode.com

"The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."

Author: Michal Zaschke
  INET: zaschke_at_suas.cz

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).