RE: Netbackup and RMAN

From: Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:03:31 -0800

Since you're on OPS I assume this is a larger database. If so then you probably want RMAN and NetBackup. RMAN requires a "Media Management Layer," or 3rd party package to handle the interface to your robotic tape subsystem. Without media management you could stage the RMAN backups to disk then use O/S or other backup programs to backup the disk backup to tape... but then you'd still have to manage your tapes. If you've paid big bucks for OPS then don't scrimp on the backup solution. Veritas also has NetBackup for Oracle BLI (Block Level Incremental) Backup Edition so you could backup raw devices without RMAN, (I think? ...never used the BLI stuff). Did you check out the Veritas web site? Lot's of "full color glossies" there. Also, check out the NetBackup pages at Backup Central...
http://www.backupcentral.com/netbackup-faq.html.

HTH,
Steve Orr

Author: Ravindra Basavaraja