Datawarehouse : working with an ETL tool

From: paquette stephane <stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 05:01:42 -0800

Hi,

I've been working on previous datawarehouse projects without an ETL tool, we have build ours using Designer and developper 2000 and dynamic pl/sql with our own metadata.

Now, this client has bought Powermart from Informatica. The developpers have put everything in the tool. For example, you have to go into the code and change something if the DW administrator wants to add/remove a field that is triggering a type 2 slowly changing dimension. For me, this is a big design flaw. The DW administrator should be able to change some parameters of the loading without involving IT all the time.

To others using ETL tool, have you put the "intelligence" in tables or in the code ?

For those who have put the intelligence in the tables and using Powermart, can you do generic coding with Powermart or do you have to use Oracle stored proc ?

Stephane Paquette
DBA Oracle
stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=   INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Feb 20 2001 - 07:01:42 CST