Re:Converting DOS batch file to UNIX script

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:23:35 -0800

Sam,

    I'll try to keep the FLAME down to a pilot if I can. Right now I have to support two third party products that "were designed for Windows", namely Support Magic from NAI and Equity Edge from Etrade. In case 1 NAI assumes that they are being installed onto a NT RDBMS therefore they want "total control". Actually they somehow check to see what version of Oracle's RDBMS is installed locally which makes working with this piece of trash a real pain, especially since we don't run Oracle on NT here, only HP-UX. Equity on the other hand only requires that I verify that the PC being used to install has access to the database by one means or another and that the tablespaces to be used have been created on the server as well as the owning Oracle account. Needless to say I much prefer the latter to the former. Therefore I'd recommend that you do likewise. Have the person installing the software verify connectivity to the database, you could even try a short SQL script to double check this rather readily. Also have the DBA create the required tablespaces, give them a list of expected tablespaces and minimum sizes. PeopleSoft provides a script that your suppose to edit during their install process. I would NOT create, nor do I endorse, a product that requires either SYS or SYSTEM access. To that end, if your looking for a HelpDesk package, DO NOT look to NAI, PERIOD.

Dick Goulet

Author: Sam Bootsma <SamB_at_cpas.com>
Date:       2/16/2001 12:02 PM

Hello All:

We are a Windows shop developing a software product that runs on an Oracle database. Most of our clients also run Oracle on Windows. Recently, a couple of our new clients have decided to run our database on a UNIX server instead of NT server. I do not know what flavour of UNIX our clients have. I know the slashes go in the other direction in UNIX scripts, but can anybody tell me the UNIX equivalent of COPY, MKDIR, CD, ECHO, and REM?

Here are a few lines of the batch file we use to install our product. Can anybody help me to convert DOS batch file commands to generic UNIX script commands?

-------snip-------
@ECHO OFF
ECHO 3 To run this installation please type (at the CD-ROM prompt) 3
IF "==%1" GOTO NODRIVE
CD\
MKDIR %1:\DB543
COPY \SERVER\SCRIPTS\Install.bat %1:\DB543\SERVER\SCRIPTS\Install.bat
>NUL:

:NODRIVE
REM this is a remark
call %1:\DB543\SERVER\Scripts\Install.bat parm1 parm2 parm3

sqlplus system/manager_at_db

Thanks for your help.

Sam

Author: Sam Bootsma