RE: Urgent! Change Character Set from WE8IS088591 to UTF8

From: <Riyaj_Shamsudeen_at_i2.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:29:59 -0800

In my opinion, it is not a good idea to change from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8. Even though, there are two methods (updating in props$ table in pre-oracle8 and using alter database in after 8) available to change the characterset, for these two methods to work correctly without introducing corruption, there are two pre-existing conditions.

  1. The characterset 'from' should be a subset of the 'to' characterset.
  2. Not just subset, also a byte by byte compatible subset. Meaning say if A is represented as hex value 65 in the 'from' characterset then 65 should be represented as 'A' in 'to' characterset too.

 In reality, as far as I know, going from ASCII to WE8ISO8859P? is the only one that will satisfy this.

 Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA
"Usual disclaimers apply"

                    Jorma.Vuorio@

                    nokia.com            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:

                    root_at_fatcity.        Subject:     RE: Urgent! Change Character Set
from WE8IS088591 to
                    com                  UTF8

                    02/14/01

                    06:00 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

How about:

SVRMGR> startup mount
SVRMGR> alter system ENABLE RESTRICTED SESSION; Statement processed.
SVRMGR> ALTER SYSTEM SET JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES=0; Statement processed.
SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;
Statement processed.
SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET ********; Statement processed
SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE NATIONAL CHARACTER SET **********; Statement processed.