RE: ERROR: WAITED TOO LONG FOR A ROW CACHE ENQUEUE LOCK! pid=30

From: Fowler, Kenneth R <kenneth_r_fowler_at_groton.pfizer.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:04:07 -0800

What platform and oracle version are you on???

We had a similar problem where I work on a server running Solaris 2.6 and oracle 8.1.6.2.

We were getting the same error "WAITED TOO LONG FOR A ROW CACHE ENQUEUE LOCK..." and the problem seemed to be caused by a fast refresh snapshot. The snapshot was on a large high activity table. The snapshot refreshed "fast refresh" each 10 min via rowid. Even though we do have oracle support it was too little too late and we eventually had to change the snapshots to full refresh daily to avoid the lockups that were occurring.

The server in question is an Ultra-4 with 4 CPU's and 4 Gig of physical memory. Another symptom that I noticed is that the snapshot log was not being truncated as it should and would continue to grow and grow.

Any of this sound familiar? I would be interested in hearing about any resolution you find.

Ken.

Author: Glenn Travis
  INET: Glenn.Travis_at_wcom.com

Author: Fowler, Kenneth R
  INET: kenneth_r_fowler_at_groton.pfizer.com