RE: OT NT2K vs Unix.

From: Kevin Kostyszyn <kevin_at_dulcian.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 13:29:09 -0800

Oh,
and not only that, I like the GUI a lot more than I like command based programming...unless.....can you play solitaire on Unix:)

<FONT face=Tahoma

  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Rocky WelchSent:   Thursday, February 01, 2001 3:28 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: OT NT2K vs Unix.
  From the URL:
<A

  href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp">http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp   PCs Stay Up and Running
  Memory conflicts and missing or altered system files caused many of the   system crashes prior to Windows 2000. To put an end to these problems, we   changed Windows 2000 memory management to reduce the chance that software   applications will interfere with one another.   Applications runing in a seprate memory area...HMMMMMM Unix did that 15   years ago.
  Fewer Reboots
  Performing routine maintenance on your system requires significantly fewer   reboots, therefore less downtime, with Windows 2000. In addition, with its   support for Plug and Play, Windows 2000 automatically recognizes and adapts to   hardware changes. This means users can easily add hardware devices such as   scanners, DVD players, and speakers without rebooting, and with less potential   for user error.
  Reboots are also reduced-and reliability increased-through the Microsoft   hardware device driver certification program. This program helps ensure that   hardware drivers are compatible with Windows 2000, and do not require a reboot   after installation. Certified drivers are tested and digitally signed by   Microsoft. If Windows 2000 detects a driver that Microsoft has not digitally   signed, it warns users about the risk before they install it on their   system<A
  href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/solutions/overview/reliable/default.asp">   Not having to reboot after installing an application....Unix from it's   beginings.
  How Much More Reliable Is Windows 2000 Professional?   Third-party studies that assess reliability from three different   perspectives-lab-based testing, customer-site measurement, and user   perceptions-conclude that Windows 2000 Professional is the most   reliable desktop operating system.
  Highest Reliability in Production Environments
<A

  href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/professional/reviews/nstl.asp">NSTL   collected uptime data in the real-world environment of several customer   sites and concluded that the average system uptime between failures of

  Windows 2000 Professional is 13 times more than that of
  Windows 98 and three times more than that of
  Windows NT Workstation 4.0.

  Notice no comparison to Unix. It's like people that hangout with socially   unacceptable people to make themselves look better (Hey! Wait a minute! Is   that why alot of people want to hang out with me? ). I guess you're right they   aren't the same. Unix posts much higher numbers.   Sorry, it's sarcastic Thursdsay here. I love the debate about Windows and   Unix. ;o)
    Kevin Kostyszyn <kevin_at_dulcian.com> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE

  style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">

    would disagree with that, how is Windows becoming like     Unix?

      <FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com
      [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Rocky WelchSennt:
      Thursday, February 01, 2001 2:01 PMTo: Multiple recipients of
      list ORACLE-LSubject: Re: OT NT2K vs
      Unix.
      The same prediction was made at least 5 years ago. At the rate
      Microsoft is going, Windows will be a direct form of Unix. It becomes more
      like it with every release.
      -Rocky
        "Mohan, Ross" <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com> wrote:

      <BLOCKQUOTE
      style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">

        Yea, but......
        Win2K Datacenter will just decimate Unix. I predict
        that, in 5 years, there will be two or three
        Unix vendors, fighting over the 45% of the
        market that DataCenter hasn't eaten.
        -----Original Message----- From:
        Steve Orr [<A
        href="mailto:sorr_at_arzoo.com">mailto:sorr_at_arzoo.com]]]
        Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 1:01 PM
        To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
        Subject: RE: OT_RE:_Réf._:_Re:_asyn_i/o_on_sun_

        Close. It's Dave Cutler. There's too much old
        DOS/Windows backward compatibility for
        WinNT/2000 to achieve stability like VMS despite Cutler's
        leadership.
        I knew VMS and you, Mr. NT, are no VMS!

        With apologies to Senator Bentsen, <FONT
        size=2>Steve Orr
        -----Original Message----- <FONT
        size=2>stephane Sent: Thursday, February 01,
        2001 9:22 AM&< To: Multiple recipients of
        list ORACLE-L
        NT is based on VMS (talk about a real OS) and if
        my memory is good the guy's name is
        Cutter.
        Do I win a toaster ? a microwave oven ? a palm-pilot
        ?
        --- "Mohan, Ross" <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com> a
        écrit : > "...Standing,  corrected,
        and sniggering....." > Odd picture,
        that...... > <FONT
        size=2>> > Anyways, pop quiz:
        > > On what OS kernel
        technology is NT based? > <FONT
        size=2>> Who was the original designer and what was his/her
        > first OS? >

        -- Please see the official
        ORACLE-L FAQ: <A target=_blank
        href="http://www.orafaq.com/">http://www.oraaafaq.com
        -- Author: Steve Orr
          INET: sorr_at_arzoo.com
        Fat City Network Services    -- (858)
        538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego,
        California      &&  -- Public
        Internet access / Mailing Lists <FONT
        E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note
        EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message
        BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L <FONT
        size=2>(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).
        You may also send the HELP command for other
        information (like subscribing).

      Do You Yahoo!?- Get personalized email addresses from <A
      href="http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/">Yahoo! Mail Personal Address -
      only $35 a year!