RE: OT_RE:_Réf._:_Re:_asy

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 13:25:13 -0800

OK, I make a REAL effort not to reply to The List on OTs, but this one crosses the line.

||  Brace yourself, this is "important". The Giant has been aroused...er, roused.<G>

NT is NOT, I repeat, *NOT* based on VMS, VAX/VMS, OpenVMS, or whatever anyone wants to call it these days (besides dead).  While Dave Cutler was co-designer of VMS, along with Mr. Hustvedt (sp?), he hasn't touched it since v3, I believe.  Some of the original design of VMS came along with Dave, but the implementation left much for me to desire.

||  NT and VMS has design IDEAS in common. Ideas are the common thread here,
not OS source code.

Some of the things in NT that may have come from VMS are process protected memory, preemptive multitasking (although NT only has 3 priorities, Tuke 5, VMS 64), working sets, and paged and nonpaged pools.  Then again, most of those are available on my Amiga.

||  So, you don't like Amiga? Or is this a "plus"?  These ideas have been
around for a while. But, like "equal rights for <whomever>" implementation often lags conception. Sometimes by a significant period of time.

Some major things in VMS that (probably) are not in NT: true clustering with distributed lock management (or did they ever properly fix Chihuahua Pack, erm, "Wolfpack"?), asynchronous system traps, batch queuing, comprehensive error logging, 64-bit virtual addressing, designated swap and page space, secure password authentication, scalability, reliability, and not having to reboot everytime I want to add a freaking screen saver for Pete's sake.

||  ".....(probably) are not...."   ??  Win2K 64 bit is around the corner,
and will make Oracle 32-64 bit migrations extremely easy ( i.e. "copy the datafiles" duh ). Swap and page exist already ( else, may i delete my PAGEFILE.SYS ?) Win NT was the highest-rated in terms of security ( C-level Orangebook, as I recall ) out of the box.

|| As for rebooting after installing a screen saver...there might be a problem external to the OS there.

And whose idea was it to integrate the *video* into the NT kernel?

||  Mine...H AHA HA AHA HAHAAH! <mad laffter, running down the street>

At least it's Payday and Beer Day, so I'm going to go now.  Just my .02. :)

[soapbox: off]