Re: Drive Configuration

From: Don Jerman <djerman_at_dot.state.nc.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:24:16 -0500

--------------E54E72826C0DE97F7FDCC0FA

I had such an arrangement on an email box once. Lost a day's mail when the controller went down and munged the drive data. The lesson I took to the DBA task is to always keep archived logs and redo logs on a separate mirror from the DB (usually with the software, on a small machine like this one). On one of this size I'd set up a 2-disk mirror for the OS, software and aforementioned critical files (and a copy of the control file) and a RAID with the remaining drives for everything else, including the other copy of the control file, redo and archived logs. I'd use a RAID controller for the RAID and a conventional controller for the mirror, if it can be done that way.

Lately I've been (generally) blessed with more volumes on multi-channel RAID drives, but I always try to have a separately-controlled mirror for the recovery-critical files and the software. Of course, now it's going to be the motherboard that goes up and smokes the whole system, but that will just be a reason to get into Parallel server :-).

dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> We also "paid the price" for a raid-5 disk array. The array was not a
> problem of and by itself, but the fact that to save money we only bought one
> controller was. In this case we had one SCSI channel into and out of the array.
> Did not matter how you mapped things, you were stuck with the physical bottle
> neck. One other problem that brings, is that when that single controller fails
> (not a matter of IF, Murphy will sooner or later pay you a visit) you may be
> left with having to completely rebuild the array from scratch. Once!!! Been
> there, done that, damn that hurts!!
>
> Now if Woody's system has internal disks that are being raided internally,
> that's a horse of a different color & then I really prefer his layout. Except
> that I like having the on-line redo somewhere else than around db files, or each
> on it's own spindle.
>
> Dick Goulet

> Author: "Kevin Kostyszyn" <kevin_at_dulcian.com>
> Date: 1/25/2001 7:56 AM
>
> I am curious Dick, why would they pay the price with a RAID 5 config with
> more than one connection. I am assuming you mean the array configuration?
> Every Disk having it's own seperate cable? Why is this bad? Because you
> are not getting maximum efficiency out of the system? Just curious.
> Kevin

 filename="djerman.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Jerman;Don
tel;work:919.508.1886
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Information Technology
version:2.1
email;internet:djerman_at_dot.state.nc.us
title:Database Administrator
adr;quoted-printable:;;Information Technology=0D=0A104 Fayetteville Street Mall;Raleigh;NC;27699-1521;USA Received on Fri Jan 26 2001 - 16:24:16 CST