Drive Configuration

From: Woody Mckay <wmckay_at_hydrogenmedia.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:04:13 -0500

I was asked by some hardware people of my suggested drive configuration for a 5 drive configuration.

I recommended the following:

Drive 1 - Oracle database software
Drive 2 - System tablespace, control file_1, online redo log files
Drive 3 - Roll back (RBS) tablespace, Temp tablespace, control file_2
Drive 4 - Data tablespace, control file_3
Drive 5 - Index tablespace, archived log files

I thought this would optimize the performance of small transactions and small queries. I also thought it would optimize I/O performance by distributing the tablespaces. The database is for a Cold Fusion web site where there will be mostly reads but plenty of writes.

They disregarded this configuration and decided to go with a raid-5 with everything on the single raid for recoverability. I caved in and said ok. Were they right?

Sincerely, Received on Thu Jan 25 2001 - 09:04:13 CST