Are there any Init<SID>.ora parameters to configure the PGA?

From: Oweson Flynn <Oweson.Flynn_at_liberty.co.za>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:28:03 +0200

Hi Gang,

I gave the DBA course last week, and one of the students asked what he could do to configure the size etc. of the PGA. I thought I had seen some initialisation parameters which affected the size of the PGA, but did some research and couldn't find anything.

The 8i docs that I have say
'A PGA is allocated by Oracle when a user connects to an Oracle database and a session is created, though this varies by operating system and configuration. ' and 'A PGA's initial size is fixed and operating-system specific. '

The only thing I could find was 'The initialisation parameters OPEN_LINKS and DB_FILES affect the sizes of PGAs. The size of the stack space in each PGA created on behalf of Oracle background processes (such as DBW0 and LGWR) is affected by some additional parameters' - but that is for background processes, not the server process!

I understand that in an MTS configuration, the 'Session Information' is stored in the SGA, but there is still a (reduced) PGA for each shared Server process.

In the article posted on the list (what was the source of it?) on the Architecture of Oracle on NT, it was mentioned that you could use the ORASTACK utility to reduce the size of each thread's stack (and thereby reduce the size of the PGA).

It is also applicable to other operating systems (i.e., Unix)?

If anybody can shed more light on the subject, I would much appreciate it!

Regards
Oweson Flynn

Certified Oracle DBA
The Flynn Consultancy
Tel: 082-600-7-006
Fax: (011) 782-9313
EMail: oef_at_icon.co.za

This message may contain information which is confidential and subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by email, facsimile or telephone and return and/or destroy the original message.