Unable to insert data

From: Renee Bonnett <renee_at_openwindows.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:43:57 +1100

Hi,

For some non-obvious reason, one of my insert statements out of about 90 refuses to work. The error being "missing comma". I know for sure there is no missing comma or any other syntax error, as it follows exact syntax as all the other insert statements.

I have found though, that it only throws this error when the number of input fields exceed a particular number, say 14. I have inserted tables that were in excess of this, so its not that it can't insert more than 14. Even after swapping around what fields it inserts it still throws an error when it has in excess of 14 input fields. No matter how many lines I format it into, the "missing comma" is thrown on the second line unless I place all of the statement onto one line then it doesn't get executed (which is unexplainable in itself). I have also tried removed trailing spaces also.

Either I'm missing something obvious or something weird is going on. Has anyone got any idea why, or how to overcome this problem.

Following is the sql:

SQL> insert into unsecured.TPROGRESSCERTIFICATES (PROGRESSCERTIFICATESID, PAYMENTID, CONTRACTID, CERTIFICATENO, INVOICENO, AMOUNTAPPROVED, DATE_R, CURRENTCONTRACTPRICE, VARIATIONS, NOW_DUE, THISRETENTION, PREVIOUSRETENTION, PREVIOUSPAYMENTS, PPSPERCENT, EXPORTDATE)   2 select ID, PAYMENTID, CONTRACTID, CERTIFICATENO, INVOICENO, AMOUNTAPPROVED, DATE_R, CURRENTCONTRACTPRICE, VARIATIONS, NOW_DUE, THISRETENTION, PREVIOUSRETENTION, PREVIOUSPAYMENTS, PPSPERCENT, EXPORTDATE   3 from contract.TPROGRESSCERTIFICATES t   4 where t.paymentid IN (select paymentid from unsecured.tpayments); select ID, PAYMENTID, CONTRACTID, CERTIFICATENO, INVOICENO, AMOUNTAPPROVED, DATE_R, CURRENTCONTRACTP
*
ERROR at line 2:
ORA-00917: missing comma

The above works if I take out any one of the insert fields (well it attempts to insert it anyway, and then finds constraint error etc. if say primary key is taken out)

Thankyou in advance for any assistance. Received on Tue Jan 23 2001 - 22:43:57 CST