RE: Can't Reduce System Tablespace Datafile Size

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:50:45 -0400

Fyi

On my test server, the 8i release 2 database (8.1.6.) also has a 240M = system
tablespace, that could be the default for the sample database it = creates
when using the installation GUI tool.

If you are really concerned about wasted space you can try to shrink it = to
progressively smaller file sizes, but Oracle will refuse to do it as = soon as
you are trying to "reduce" a block that is in use. This doesn't mean = there
won't be any empty holes inside the tablespace, because fragmentation = does
occur. I always like to leave empty space inside SYSTEM, if that = tablespace
fills up you could be in big trouble. (/begin rant Moving the sys.aud$ table was for that reason! What is Oracle doing.... /end rant)

I know money is tight, but you have to leave at least some leeway in = there.=20

My Canadian CDN$0.02. Which is just about 2/3 of 1 cent American. Ah, where did the CDN$1.10 go? <g>

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO

	Author: Sam Bootsma
	  INET: SamB_at_cpas.com

	San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists