Can't Reduce System Tablespace Datafile Size

From: Sam Bootsma <SamB_at_cpas.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:27:48 -0500

Hello,

On one of my databases, the SYSTEM tablespace has about 2 GB free space, and just over 50 GB used space. I am trying to reduce the size of the datafile using "alter database datafile 'F:\oracle\oradata\TelusDB16bit\SYSTEM01.DBF' resize 1024M", but receive the error message ORA-03297: file contains used data beyond requested RESIZE value. I assume this happens becasue part of the used space is towards the end of the data file.

If this were a non-SYSTEM tablespace, I could reduce the size of the datafile by exporting the data, dropping users, resizing the datafile, then importing the data. However, this won't work for SYSTEM, because SYS objects cannot be exported. Only SYS, SYSTEM, and OUTLN own segments in the SYSTEM tablespace.

Does anybody know how I can reduce the size of the SYSTEM tablespace (short of recreating the database)? Thanks for any suggestions.

The database is Oracle 8.1.6 on Windows NT 4.0.

Sam Bootsma, OCP
Technical Support Analyst
CPAS Systems Inc.
416-422-0563 x237