PL/SQL coding style

From: Chandini Paterson <chandini.paterson_at_morse.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:01:38 -0000

Hi gurus,
  I've just changed jobs quite recently and am already having problems with my Senior Developer (yippee)
  It concerns the PL/SQL coding style. The guy insists that I use 'SELECT ..INTO ' in my code rather than explicit cursors, even though I tried telling him it is more efficient with the latter. He apparently finds it more 'readable' with the 'SELECT.. INTO ' and says that the double fetch (for each row) is 'no big deal'.
  Also, he insists of using a lot of GOTOs in his code and expects me to do the same. I am adamant that we use EXCEPTION handlers to achieve the same thing (BAsically he checks for error conditions in his code and then does a 'goto error_handler' to handle the error!!!). I prefer using EXCEPTIONS to handle all my error conditions.
  I was just wondering if my concepts are all wrong at this time. I am just curious to know if any of you find his way of coding style preferable to mine. (OH, by the way, he was initially a 'C' progrmmer). Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 10:01:38 CST