Re: OT- PERL book recommendations needed

From: Peter J. Schoenster <peter_at_schoenster.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:24:56 -0700

On 16 Jan 2001, at 8:35, Steve Orr wrote:

> Well, after a lot of procrastination I'm about to bite the bullet and
> do some serious perl. I need recommendations for two books:
>
> 1)
> quick-and-dirty-get-up-to-speed-for-admin-scripting-now-because-I'm-on
> -inter net-time-and-have-no-patience book and

"Perl Cookbook" by Tom Christiansen. Just like it sounds: a cookbook of common things one wants to do.

Visit Schwartz's website and script archives:

http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/

> 2)
> digest-me-slowly-to-learn-superior-style-and-technique-and-be-infused-
> with-t he-mystic-of-perl-from-an-application-development-perspective
> book.

Umm ... imho I've never really found a good book on application development with Perl. A must is the "Perl Programming" (many editions) which will have some of this. Perl allows one to do anything anyway:) I would highly suggest you use Modules and the OO Perl style. Be sure to always check out CPAN before writing your own wheel:

http://search.cpan.org/

Also, if doing web application development with Perl and you are using Apache (why not:) ... then I highly suggest mod_perl. Here is a great guide to using mod_perl:

http://perl.apache.org/guide/

and a link for the mod_perl and some book chapters online:

http://www.modperl.com/

And there is always the book "Programming the Perl DBI" which I prefer to online documentation as I prefer to read books ... but I'd bet you could find it all online.

Peter

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go Received on Tue Jan 16 2001 - 13:24:56 CST