Re: Re: Exports with pipes

From: Cyril Thankappan <cyril_thank_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2001 18:43:46 -0000

Hi!

 was wondering whether there is a 'way of doing'  sqlload of 'compressed file'????

 has someone actually done it? or am i the only 'spooky one'!!!!

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, lerobe - Lee Robertson wrote:

> Anyone noticed any unreliability/errors/probems/bugs etc. in using pipes
> whilst exporting big tables.
>
> As we are having space issues for export files we were going to use the
> above method. One of our DBAs however reckons that he has had problems
> before with this method and that it can be unreliable.
>
> Oracle 8.0.5.0.0, Tru64 Unix V4.0f

At my previous job, all of my exports were pushed through a pipe so they could be compressed via gzip.

*Never* caused a problem.

Your DBA's previous errors may have been and error in execution.

Jared

  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

http://bol.rediff.com

 From: "Cyril  Thankappan" <cyril_thank_at_rediffmail.com>
 Date: 16 Jan 2001 18:52:19 -0000
 Subject: Re: Re: RMAN.. Success or Failure

Hi!

 do u use rman backup to disk (filesystem)
or directly to tape.

 If u r taking rman backups directly to tape, then I am very VERY keen to know the steps involved.

 Thanks