RE: general doubt

From: mRT Bonner <ravendarke2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:00:13 -0800 (PST)

In all seriousness, Alex, you were obviously frustrated by the question originally posed. While you may feel that the question was not appropriate for this forum, your delivery of that opinion was harsh.

I was searching for some information on the Cognos Improptu reporting tool a couple of years ago. I did my research using the internet, and I thought that the product looked pretty good. I got the product, and hated it. If I'd had a forum like this one, maybe I could've gotten some real world stories about the product, instead of the propaganda that Cognos released about the product.

Likewise, is there anybody in this forum who has been a DBA for so long that they can't remember sitting in front of their computer, going blind, fourteen books open in front of them, with the answer to their problem staring them in the face, and not being able to see it? (That was last week for me.. :) So, yeah, some of the questions may seem simple, but I'm not going to be the one to tell that DBA who sitting at their terminal frustrated, tired, and upset, that their question is stupid or invalid. Politely point them in the right direction, don't make them afraid to post again. This is a forum where we can help each other out; I don't think it's necessarily just an 'Oracle Philosophy' discussion group.

Sorry this was so long.

Marty