Crystal reports is stuffing my CPU

From: Tim Onions <tim.onions_at_speechmachines.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:31:48 -0000

Dear All

This may be a touch off topic but if anybody knows the answer to this problem it'll be one of the list members. I have Crystal reports 6 running via a web server and the OCX browser plug in connecting to Oracle 8.1.6 on NT via ODBC. Every time the report is run it submits the SQL to the database server repeatedly until the browser has displayed the full report. This is not a problem when only 1 day's worth of data from our system is displayed but when you get to 1 month's worth of data Crystal re-submits the SQL every 2-3 seconds for up to 15 minute? CPU utilisation goes through the roof and the rest of the system suffers as a result. When I run the SQL from SQL*Plus it starts returning data after 10-15 seconds and server CPU goes back to "idling".

So does anybody know of a Crystal parameter thjat might be encouraging it to re-run the SQL ad infinitum?

Many thanks

Tim

Author: Malyk Michael
  INET: malik_at_isettle.com