RE: error connecting from sqlplus

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:08:51 -0000

A shared memory segment message has nothing to do with a lack of semaphores - there are several messages for those problems :)

Indira, try making your SGA smaller (lower the number of db_block_buffers, lower the shared_pool, the number of processes) until you can start the database.

Also... have your system administrator check the SHMMAX size in the kernel parameters... you might need to increase it if you really need the SGA to be the size it is.

For many flavors of Unix, if your SGA is larger than a SINGLE shared memory segment, the database won't start. Some (AIX is one I think, I've never worked with it) will allocate an additional memory segment if needed. But I don't think Digital Unix does. I know Solaris doesn't.

Rachel