effect of multiple not null check constraints on one column

From: <Steven_Haas_at_rsausa.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:49:22 -0500

Gurus,

Env't: Oracle 8.1.5 (64 bit), HP-UX 11.0 (64 bit)

In doing some unrelated research, I have found that there is a table that has four not null check constraints on one column. We use SqlNavigator, on occasion, to recreate or modify tables. It will generate DDL on a table create with "not null" specified in "create table..." and a "alter table xxx add constraint ,,," for a not null check constraint.
I know a column can have more than one check constraint of a single type (in this case not null).

Does the additional constraints cause extra overhead during DML operations on the table/column?

TIA, Steve Haas
DBA Consultant
at Royal & SunAlliance
Farmington, CT USA Received on Thu Dec 14 2000 - 10:49:22 CST