Re: Need script that monitors for archive directory filling up

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:00:21 -0500

Cherie,
 The reference to the archive log dest "use multiple archive areas" that = you questioned is a "deduction" from the readings and descriptions in the = oracle DBA handbook ver 7.x thru 8i about the "alter system" command = "archive_log_clause". In the description of the "TO" clause the "TO" = location specifies the primary location to which the redo log file groups = are to be archived.If you omit this parameter,Oracle archives to the = location specified in the initialization parameters LOG_ARCHIVE DEST or = LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n..=20
The manual also has a NOTE: You can enhance recoverability by setting the = related archive parameters LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_DUPLEX and LOG_ARCHIVE_MIN_SUCC= EED_DEST. =20
I used the information to think that you could have multiple archive = destinations. I do not have Oracle 8 yet to test the theory. I am still = looking into the noted parameters as my manual doesn't explain them = thoroughly.

ROR m=AA=BF=AAm

>>> Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com 12/14/00 09:45AM >>>
We are using RMAN to backup the archives at least once a day and sometimes as often as hourly depending on activity on each database.

We do have quite a bit of disk space but it often fills up when there is periodic heavy utilization or really large jobs that are creating a lot of archive logs.

I can't move the archive log files because they have to be in position in order to run the archive cleanup script from rman.

I'd be interested to know if there is a way to have more than one archive directory location within rman. Received on Thu Dec 14 2000 - 11:00:21 CST