RE: OT - RE: X$Tables Info : Attention - Jared

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:57:24 -0800

http://instruct.uwo.ca/anthro/211/slavery.htm

excerpts:

"'Freedom' is a highly charged concept in the modern West, having many uses, all controversial (and notice that it's one of the West's most touted exports in a neo-colonial world). It's understandable that an untiring scholar of slavery, the Jamaican sociologist Orlando Patterson, has gone on to write about how 'freedom' is used in the West, and how it got that way. He makes the critical point that our modern notion of freedom arose in a world where slavery was widespread, so that slavery always provided an image of what freedom wasn't [1991 Freedom]. In the West (but not everywhere else) 'freedom' became the opposite of 'slavery'. "

---
10. Orlando Patterson 1982 [_]Slavery and Social Death[_].

[  ]

Patterson's book is the most important recent attempt to provide a
comprehensive study
of world slavery, and so his surprising "preliminary definition"
deserves thoughtful attention. Initially, it seems cryptic, but it
isn't: think about it.
[]
    ["]...a preliminary definition of slavery on the level of
personal relations: slavery is the permanent, violent domination of
natally alienated and generally dishonored persons. ["]

---end---

On 12 Dec 2000, at 10:47, Kevin Kostyszyn wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:47:05 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
From:           	"Kevin Kostyszyn" <kevin_at_dulcian.com>
Subject:        	RE: OT - RE: X$Tables Info : Attention - Jared