Re: urgent -Svrmgrl

From: <Babu.Nagarajan_at_Cummins.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:03:40 -0500

hi suganya

there is a document on metalink which is quite exhaustive in trouble shooting this..

Doc ID: Note:69642.1
Subject: Checklist for Resolving CONNECT INTERNAL PASSWORD Issues .. i= f
you cant access metalink let me know

babu

Suganya <ukumsu02_at_shafika.vetri.com>@fatcity.com on 12/12/2000 06:45:25=  AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

Subject: urgent -Svrmgrl

Hi
=A0=A0 remote_login_passwordfile =3D none
=A0=A0 I have logged in the dba group only where the oracle 8i is insta=
lled.
And also I am not trying from
the remote_database_connectstring.But that orapwd is also not working f= or
me.
Please suggest me how to resolve from this problem.

Thank and Regards
Suganya

Srinivas Pulla wrote: check the ORACLE_SID, and the OS user you have lo= gged
in as, if the OS user you have logged is in the dba group(OS) then it shouldn't prompt you=A0 for a password=A0 for the Internal user, also c= heckout
if you are trying to administer a remote database or your ORACLE_SID is=  set
to a different one than the one you are connecting to, and trying to connect as "connect internal_at_Remote_database_connectstring"=A0 in this = case
it will even prompt you for a password, then you need to check out the REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=A0 parameter in the initsid.ora=A0 file.

=A0Here is the syntax for changing the password for Internal.

$ $ORACLE_HOME/bin/orapwd file=3D<filename> password=3D<password> entri= es
=3D<max_users>

Let me know if you require more help.

Srinivas

Suganya wrote: Hi all
=A0=A0=A0 In the svrmgrl suddenly it is asking for internal password.
I used the same thing without password. How we can disable the password and also tell me how to change the password using orapwd command in unix system
Thanx and Regards
suganya

The Oracle DBA wrote: One vote for:

SHUTDOWN immediate
STARTUP RESTRICT
(practive backup of control file)
SHUTDOWN NORMAL
<BACKUP>

Cheers,

Earl

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 07:51:36
=A0Kevin Kostyszyn wrote:

RE: shutdown for backup : pro's and con'sPersonally, we do a shutdown immediate.=A0 As far as I know, if you don't do it this way and then sa= y try
to bring the database up on another machine with using the same name an= d
the
datafiles and init file, the redo logs will be corrupt and the database=

will
not come up.=A0 I would go with the shutdown immediate.

Kevin Kostyszyn
DBA, Dulcian, Inc
=A0 -----Original Message-----
=A0 From: root_at_fatcity.com [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Koivu,=
 Lisa
=A0 Sent: Friday, December 08, 2000 8:26 AM
=A0 To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
=A0 Subject: RE: shutdown for backup : pro's and con's

=A0 Hi Pat,

=A0 I have to use SHUTDOWN ABORT/STARTUP RESTRICT/SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE.
Otherwise our databases hang due to some refresh jobs that run continua= lly,
and my backups never start.=A0 I haven't had any problems.=A0 Think abo= ut it -
If you startup and shutdown nice after a shutdown abort, the database h= as a
chance to clean itself up.

=A0 HTH

=A0 Lisa Rutland Koivu
=A0 Oracle Database Administrator
=A0 Qode.com
=A0 4850 North State Road 7
=A0 Suite G104
=A0 Fort Lauderdale, FL=A0 33319

=A0 V: 954.484.3191, x174
=A0 F: 954.484.2933
=A0 C: 954.658.5849
=A0 http://www.qode.com

=A0 "The information contained herein does not express the opinion or
position
of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."=

=A0 -----Original Message-----
=A0 From: Pat Howe - Contractor [mailto:pat.howe_at_Terabeam.com]
=A0 Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 10:34 PM
=A0 To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
=A0 Subject: shutdown for backup : pro's and con's

=A0 I would like to be convinced one way or the other on the following =
issue
:
=A0 What is the best way to take a database down for a cold backup ?

=A0 SHUTDOWN ABORT
=A0 STARTUP RESTRICT
=A0 SHUTDOWN NORMAL
=A0 <BACKUP>

=A0 or

=A0 SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
=A0 <BACKUP>

=A0 I have seen both widely used.
=A0 I have always stayed away from the ABORT option because I am uneasy=
 about
=A0 taking any database down this way (hard).
=A0 I am looking for a dialog on the pro's and con's of each approach.
=A0 ie: Any horror stories about taking down with the ABORT option ?

=A0 --
=A0 Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com
=A0 --
=A0 Author: Pat Howe - Contractor
=A0=A0=A0 INET: pat.howe_at_Terabeam.com

=A0 Fat City Network Services=A0=A0=A0 -- (858) 538-5051=A0 FAX: (858) =
538-5051
=A0 San Diego, California=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 -- Public Internet acces=
s / Mailing Lists
=A0 -------------------------------------------------------------------=
-
=A0 To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message
=A0 to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in=

=A0 the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
=A0 (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).=A0 You m=
ay
=A0 also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing)=
.

Great Gift Idea!=A0 FREE cell phone, internet ready at Lycos Marketplac= e
=A0http://www.inphonic.lycos.com/redirect.asp?referringpage=3Dwww.lycos=
d1

Author: The Oracle DBA

=A0 INET: theoracledba_at_lycos.com
Fat City Network Services=A0=A0=A0 -- (858) 538-5051=A0 FAX: (858) 538-= 5051 San Diego, California=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 -- Public Internet access / = Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in