RE: being pecked to death by ducks

From: Durinda.Jones <Durinda.Jones_at_yellowcorp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:48:16 -0600

Dennis,

One thing I remember is if you use a parfile, you need to make it USERID=USER/PASS, it doesn't rely on placement anymore.

I found this on Metalinks. Not much, but it should help:

From: Oracle, Rajesh Varadhan 17-Aug-00 09:48 Subject: Re : Migration of 7.3.4 database to 8.1.6 on HP-9000(v.11)

Hi Aftab,
In case of export then you need to be careful of the new rowid format.The existing rowids will not be changed until they are accessed. You will want to take care of this all at once rather than wait for your users to access the rowids in the tables. One way is to perform full table scans of the entire database (except for sys owned objects) is to do a full export to null, so that no export file is generated.
-> exp system/manager full=y file=/dev/null
* Also, if you have stored rowids in your tables for use by your applications, you need to convert these to the Oracle8 format with the dbms_rowid package. If you have plenty of time at your disposal, you may go in for this method.Reorganisation is possible.

In case of migration utility, you need to have sufficient amount of space in the system tablespace.This method is faster. Reorganisation is not possible.

Please refer to the Doc ID NOTE:76460.1 in metalink also.

Hope this gets you down the road.

Durinda Jones

Author: Dennis Taylor
  INET: ismgr_at_pctc.com