RE: DB config over the top - NT design layout

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:24:30 -0000

Hi Sean,

Putting the internal disks 4,5 & 6 on a separate controller may present a problem on NT.

	With separate controllers is it possible to Hardware mirror them?
	If not, then I would suggest the same controller as NT software
mirroring may not be the best option.

Do you really need the Oracle software on a separate RAID set to the OS?

I would also suggest to ensure you have hot spare disks, both internal and for the SAN disks.

Where are your archived logs going to go (if in archive log mode)?

Depending upon database size and number of users, you may want more disks to spread the application data and indexes across.

Also, keep in mind the disk speed - I have seen getting faster rpm disks providing significant benefit.

Compromises - As a start, reduce the number of disks for your test system
(depending on what performance level it has to give).

Regards,
Bruce Reardon
mailto:bruce.reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au

From: O'Neill, Sean [SMTP:Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie] Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 5:11 PM Hi Folks,
I have my first opportunity, oh joy(?), to be involved in specifying configuration for an Oracle database. The database will be a backend to a time and attendance system. What I've come up with in terms of disk and RAID is below. I'm expecting a few folk to blow their top when they see it.

I'd really appreciate feedback on whether perhaps I'm being a little over zealous and if so suggested compromises? Hardware is COMPAQ and OS NT.
Server Disk Configuration

Disk 1  Operating System.               Disk 4  RAID 1 mirror disk 1
Disk 2  Oracle software.                Disk 5  RAID 1 mirror disk 2
Disk 3  ORADBA & subdirs.
                Disk to disk backups.   Disk 6  RAID 1 mirror disk 3

SAN Disk Configuration
Disk 1  System Tablespace [Live]                Disk 7  RAID 1 mirror disk 1

Disk 2  Data Tablespace [Live]                  Disk 8  RAID 1 mirror disk 2

Disk 3 Index, Temp Tablespaces [Live] Disk 9 RAID 1 mirror disk 3 Disk 4 Rollback Segment Tblspc [Live] Disk 10 RAID 1 mirror disk 4

Disk 5  Redo Log Group 1 [Live]
Disk 6  Redo Log Group 2 [Live]

Disk 11 System Tablespace [Test]
Disk 12 Data Tablespace [Test]
Disk 13 Index, Temp Tablespaces [Test]
Disk 14 Rollback Segment Tblspc [Test] Received on Sun Dec 10 2000 - 18:24:30 CST