Re: Raw Vs. File systems, your opinion?

From: Shreepad Vaidya <Shreepad.Vaidya_at_alltel.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:56 -0600

Hi sonja,

1)We have a production environment on Oracle 7.3.4 , Hp-Ux 10.2

2)We have out database on Raw devices . This has been giving us a good performance .
We are using Sql-backtrack for out database backups.I guess veritas , Omni should also support raw.
3) Oracle Enterprise Manager has no problems working with raw partitions

As far as Problem of memory leak encountered by you.

Let me mention that we had a similiar problem on our database . Oracle suggested that we move to 7.3.5 as the problem had been solved.

But now i see that you are facing the same problem in 8.1.5

also.....................

I agree with Mark's suggestion. But a lot depends on how many disks are availabe to space out the files.

At our site we have 5 groups with 2 members each.

HTH
               Shreepad

From: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com AT INTERNET on 06/12/2000 19:45

To: Shreepad Vaidya/EMEA/ALLTELCORP, ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com AT

      INTERNET_at_CCMAIL
cc:

Subject: Re: Raw Vs. File systems, your opinion?

hi,

You can use dd oder rman to make a backup of your datafiles. Cut your disks
in several partitions of the same size so you can easily add a empty partition to your tablespace or move datafiles with dd around.

oli.

On Wednesday 06 December 2000 11:43, sonja.sehovic_at_zg.tel.hr wrote:
> Mark,
> we are considering to move from FS on raw devices. It is a misson
critical
> database (8.1.7 on AIX).
> We migrated from 8.1.5 because we noticed a memory leak. Oracle told
us it
> is a bug, and that we should go to the 8.1.7.
> Well, we are not sure that this resolves our problem so this is the
one of
> the reason to change to the raw devices.
> What do you think? Do you have any suggestions?
> Which software are you using for backup?
> Are there OEM for raw devices?
> How do you extend your tablespaces (when I add datafile in FS)?
>
> TIA,
> Sonja

filesystem, or
> something similar.
> No such problems with raw partitions : you are less likely to get
> accidental or malicious damage to a critical database if it is raw,
imho.
> Backups are more complex, but generally only larger sites consider
raw
> partitions, and subsequently have purchased an enterprise level
backup tool
> that handles raw partitions as easily as files.
>
> An aside : for sites that use dedicated redo disks, and put two or
three
> redo log files on each dedicated disk pair : is there any reason not
> create more redo groups (say 10) on the same two disk pairs, so that
online
> recovery, if it is required, is less likely to need archive logs to
be
> pulled from tape? It is a better use of the redo pairs than having
an
> online archive log bucket filesystem. Since redo log files are not
> hot-backedup their total size doesnt matter. Comments?
>
> Regards
> Mark
> Perth, Australia
>
> ---------------------------- ERG Group --------------------------
> The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential
> and may only be read by the intended recipient.

> Author: Mark Teehan
> INET: mteehan_at_erggroup.com

> San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

---

Oliver Artelt, System- und Datenbankadministration
  cubeoffice GmbH & Co.KG # jordanstrasse 7 # 39112 magdeburg
telefon: +49 (0)391 6 11 28 10 # telefax: +49 (0)391 6 11 28 19
   email: oli@cubeoffice.de # web: http://www.cubeoffice.de
Author: Oliver Artelt
  INET: oli_at_md.transnet.de