RE: Changing the name of a tablespace with Oracle ?

From: Shreepad Vaidya <Shreepad.Vaidya_at_alltel.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:22 -0600

Hi ,
I agree that there is no normal method to rename a tablespace in Oracle .

But i also agree with the method jorma tried out.

I created a user . Assigned a default tablespace and created a table .

updated the column "name" in sys.ts$ .

Checked out the dba_tables . This showed the changed value for the tablespace for the corresponding table. Also checked dba_segments . This also showed the appropriate new value.

So it should be accepted that it can be done............

I guess dba_tables , dba_segments picks up data from sys.ts$.

HTH                shreepad.

From: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com AT INTERNET on 07/12/2000 00:40

To: Shreepad Vaidya/EMEA/ALLTELCORP, ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com AT

      INTERNET_at_CCMAIL
cc:

Subject: RE: Changing the name of a tablespace with Oracle ?

Hello Yannick !! How is going in Grenoble ?

For You question:

No, it's not possible by Oracle supported way.

Of course, You can update column "name" of the data dictionary table sys.ts$ if You want excitement in Your life. Done before in my test db and it works fine :), but I don,t recommend it.

Br.Jorma

Name:     Jorma Vuorio                   Phone:  +358-9-511 68043
Company:  Nokia Networks                 Fax:    +358-9-511 68050
Address:  P.O.Box 321, FIN-00045 NOKIA GROUP, FINLAND
Internet: jorma.vuorio_at_nokia.com         Mobile: +358-40-522 8532

Lists

  INET: Jorma.Vuorio_at_nokia.com