From: Abdul Aleem <>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 08:37:26 +0500

Thanx, I second you.

 -----Original Message-----

From: 	Rama Malladi []
Sent:	Tuesday, December 05, 2000 3:51 AM
To:	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject:	RE: FreeOCP

Hi friends!
 There is a lots of talk about Paper DBAs on this message board. With due respect to all the veteran DBAs without OCP and new DBAs with OCP, I would like to make few comments from my own personal experience (spanning 9 years+ in USA, Europe and India)

 I have come across lots of long time DBAs with no OCP, who frown on OCP DBAs. Working closely with them, I noticed that these longs really count the hours to bill the clients. To my dismay, I came across 10+ years Oracle DBAs who had no clue about OPS, Partitioning, Snapshots, Stand by etc... They have gained experience over the years only because the client could not find a better alternative.

 At the same time, in the interviews and at work, I come across lots of new OCP DBAs who can do the job, but need lots support and help from the other DBAs. (It is sort of baby sitting).

 I was a DBA without OCP for long time and I had no problem in finding jobs without OCP. After I started preparing for OCP, I came to know of so many things that I did not know before. In my humble opinion, any OCP DBA with experience is lot better than a OCP DBA without experience or an experienced DBA without OCP.

 OCP helped me as a DBA to understand things that I did not know before. It took lots of time, confidence and enthusiasm to be a OCP DBA and change my self in the process.

 Without OCP, I would have been a Pumpkin DBA, doing clueless things in a random and unilateral way. Let's face it... OCP or No OCP is a matter of choice. But it helps to be OCP than be left-out and looking at SOUR GRAPES!!! Rama
OCP DBA with experience!

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

Author: Rama Malladi

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 04 2000 - 21:37:26 CST

Original text of this message