RE: OT (Fwd) RE: :what is the meaning of "ad hoc query"?

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 20:06:50 -0800

Lars,

thanks again for the excellent, and stimulating elucidations!

This sounds like the same stuff Quakers do (silent witness?), I wonder if there is a connection. Also, Ghandi was supposedly greatly influenced by the Quaker "witness" process when he was studying law in England. I've heard from muslim scholars that there was a similar school of islamic mysticism, I think called the "illuminationists". They relied in highly developed spiritual purification practices/rituals to open the mind to the "inner voice" of the soul (truth).

Supposedly the univeralists think that there is a phenomena called "perennial philosophy", which indicates that there is a certain similarity in how many/most (pre-modern) cultures developed the "inner wisdom" (discernment/insight, "irfan" in arabic) and ability to determine "truth".

My guess is that this is the "baby" that thrown out with the "bathwater" (superstition) during the period of the rise of the age of rationalism, science and technology.

It probably sounds weird, but it may be that democracy is not sustainable over the long run without strong traditions of mysticism.

On electing Kings, that also supposedly happened in the iberia, including the catalan-aragonese empire (now Aragon, Catalonia and Languedoc). It may have been originally (but indirectly?) inspired by the Norse traditions! In popular modern catalan history, they take pride in claiming to have had a "magna carta" 4 years before the one in England.

( http://zeus.townhall.com/phillysoc/liggiosa.htm

excerpts:

"In the midst of the resistance of the Spanish townsmen and rural
    yeomen after May 2, 1808, their leaders sought inspiration     from the historic institutions of Spain. The provincial councils     looked to the medieval representative institutions, and the     national council in Cadiz called in 1810 for the formation of a     successor to the Cortes which issued a new Constitution on     March 19, 1812. It was based on English constitutional     principles. The Liberales sought a foundation in the []

      [***]Gothic traditions[***]
[]

    of liberty in constitutional documents and institutions, such as     the [***]communas of Cataluna and Castile[***]. In March, 1814,     Ferdinand VII was restored after swearing to maintain the     constitution of 1812. But he suppressed the Cortes and undertook a     ferocious destruction of the Liberales. In January, 1820, a     revolution re-established the Cortes; but a French invasion in     1823 restored Ferdinand VII and witnessed his massacre of the     Cortes in Cadiz. Benjamin Constant was the French writer most in     tune with the Spanish Constitutionalists and their foundation in     the medieval representative institutions of the communas.

    Spain had shared the liberation from Roman taxation and inflation     when the Germanic tribes burst the Rhine frontier in 406 A.D. The     Visigothic settlers in Spain brought      [***]German concepts of limited power of the ruler[***]     and extensive independence and rights of freeman.     []
     [***]The king must live on his own resources[***], and     []
     [***]the concept of taxation was unacceptable[***]     []
    [] to independent
    freeman. But the representative institutions of the Germans     became limited to the Visigothic Christian kingdoms in the     Pyrenees, Asturias, Navarre, and Galicia with the Moslem conquest     after 711 A D. and the Moslem defeat by the Franks at     the Battle of Tours in 732 A. D.

    During the five hundred years of the Reconquista, the Germanic     concepts of law and political institutions flourished in Spain.     In the various kingdoms of Spain, Asturias, Galicia, Navarre,     Leon, Castile, Aragon, Cataluna, and Valencia the rights of     freeman were clearly recognized. Taxation was at odds with     freedom. The king's capacity depended on possessing enough     funds of his own to pay for his costs as king. The nobles and     freeman, townsmen in municipalities with charters, and the     secular and monastic clergy embodied complete independence and     rights against the king.

    The well-known oaths of the nobles, freeman, townsmen, and     clergy, as at the coronation of the kings of Aragon, and the     reciprocal oaths of the kings required kings to live up to their     oaths; and if not, the freeman, etc. were absolved of their oaths.     We find in the [***]Fueros[***]--traditional rights and     independence from taxation of the medieval nobles, freeman,     townsmen, and clergy, with their
      [***]roots in Germanic legal concept[***]--the foundations of     modern rights. English legal and constitutional history,     with the Magna Carta, was parallel to the experiences in Spain,     such as the Great charter of 1020 issued by the Cortes of     Leon under Alphonso V."

"At the time (after 1760) of London's attempt to displace North
    America's medieval heritage, a leading Bourbon reformer and     utilitarian advocate of Enlightened Despotism, Gaspar Melchor de     Jovellanos (1744-1811) declared Iberia's great tragedy to     be its Gothic inheritance. Jovellanos and the Enlightened     philosophers attacked Montesquieu and his assertion that it was     Gothic constitutional traditions which were the foundations of     the flourishing of liberty and wealth among Europeans. We     need to recall that Montesquieu and his defense of the Gothic     constitution was the most influential authority among the     American founding fathers."

"When the United States Constitution was written, it received
*-> violently critical reviews from the great philosophers of the

    French Enlightenment. They did not understand, as Edmund Burke     well understood, that the Americans had revolted against     England because the English bureaucrats were attempting to     destroy the Americans' medieval institutions and to install a     modern, bureaucratic state. The French philosophers emphasized     repeatedly that the American constitution was retrogressive,     looking back to the institutions and concepts of liberty of the     middle ages. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams sought to     explain to the philosophers that the American revolutionaries     were traditional Whigs who wished to keep all the historic,     medieval institutions of England, from common law to []
[***] absence of central government agents. [***]"

[!!!!!!]

"The medieval supremacy of the judiciary and judicial review were
    reflected in the U. S. Constitution and The Federalist     Papers. "The political and social philosophies that sprang from     the Enlightenment were [***]religious[***] because they ascribed     ultimate meaning and sanctity to the individual mind and also, it     must be added immediately, to the nation. The age of     individualism and rationalism was also the age of nationalism:     the individual was a citizen, and public opinion turned out to be     not the opinion of mankind but the opinion of Frenchmen, the     opinion of Germans, the opinion of Americans, and so forth.     Individualism, rationalism, nationism - the Triune Deity of     Democracy - found legal expression in the exaltation of the role     of the legislature and the consequent reduction (except in the     United States) of the law-crating role of the judiciary." Harold     J. Berman, The Interaction of Law and Religion (Nashville,     Tennessee, Abingdon Press, 1974, pp. 68-9)."

---end exceprts--- )

(also see: http://libro.uca.edu/lewis/sfcatsoc.htm , http://www.hyw.com/downloads/HYWNotes.txt , http://libro.uca.edu/ck . the latter describes catholic/muslim conflict during the reconquista c. 1300 in spain. http://www.niu.edu/~td0kru1/spain.html , etc. )

As in England, the Magna Carta was of course an agreement between feudal warlords/landowners and the nobility. ( http://www.infokey.com/hall/magna.htm ,   http://www.nara.gov/exhall/charters/magnacarta/magmain.html )

Note there is a "translation" of the Magna Carta into modern english at the above site!

At any rate, this might cast a bit of light on the current political "insanity" going on in the usa.

regards,
ep

ps, yet more linguistic oddities!!!:

http://www.estelnet.com/catalunyacymru/catala/pc_cogn.htm

On 1 Dec 2000, at 8:15, Lars Skj=E6rlund wrote:

From:           	"Lars Skj=E6rlund" <lars_at_spinn.dk>
To:             	"Netware 4 Discussion List" <Netw4l_at_mail.otherwhen.com>
Subject:        	RE: OT (Fwd) RE: :what is the meaning of "ad hoc query"?
Date sent:      	Fri, 01 Dec 2000 08:15:15 +0100