Re: RMAN backup question

From: Cyril Thankappan <cyril_thank_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 27 Nov 2000 12:20:09 -0000

Hi!

 can u please give me a 'glimpse' of the RMAN errors  it spews....

 Thanks

Hi there!

I'm trying to implement an online backup using RMAN. Since I'm new to this tool, I'm running into some problems...

Can I use UNC paths to specify where I want a copy of a datafile to be placed?

\\file\oradata is a share on the file server where I want RMAN to put its backups:

run {
 allocate channel d1 type disk;
 backup
 format '\\file\oradata\daffy\rman\system01_%t_%s'  (datafile 'e:\oracle\oradata\daffy\system01.dbf');  release channel d1;
 }

Any idea why this does not work?

This is 8.1.6 on Windows 2000.

Thanks,
Helmut

Author: Helmut Daiminger
  INET: hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com

Chat with your friends as soon as they come online. Get Rediff Bol at http://bol.rediff.com

Participate in crazy auctions at http://auctions.rediff.com/auctions/

 From: "Rahul Dandekar" <orcldba_at_hotmail.com>  Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 07:24:04 -0500
 Subject: Re: OCP test resources... SOLVED!!!

DBAs,

Following are my experiences about OCP paper 2. I would not like to attract OCP Police so I won't be disclosing any questions from the exam...

I passed.
I scored 59 / 63 wherein passing was 43.

  1. This exam was pretty simple. Simpler than SQL - PL/SQL exam. Practical experience would take you a long way and should be enough to 'pass' this exam.
  2. Some areas which are not commonly touched in routine admin work, are covered.
  3. Testing environment was similar to Self Test Software Sample test.
  4. I highly recommend the pdf guide at cramsession.com. That was a great resource.
  5. There were a couple of questions meant just to ensure that noone passes 100% :) Questions were very simple and answers I knew for sure. But the alternatives were so confusing... After using that stuff in almost all 5-6 projects I have worked on, I couldn't have gone wrong. But none of the alternatives were 100% correct and more than 1 appeared to be 'best answer'.
  6. I missed one question, which was a jinx, I missed it all the times in practice exams also and when I saw it I knew I am gonna miss. Bad preparation. Worse to know that you made this mistake 5-6 time and you are making it again.
  7. I missed one question which I could not understand how. ;-)

Rating of preparation material used...

1. Notes at cramsession.com - Excellent resource. Very close.
2. dbasupport.com sample questions - Too simple
3. Brainbench.com test - Okay, buy not close though
4. STSware sample test - Good simulation of exam environment
5. Text Books -

   DBA Handbook by Loney - Was useful
   Backup and Recovery - Rama Velapuri

        I studied this mainly for understanding Rollback segments. Great text. But

        not much useful for OCP
6. As always Oracle Manuals were of good reference. 7. Take a printout of OCP checklist and keep on refering it all the time. Received on Mon Nov 27 2000 - 06:20:09 CST