RE: Where is DBA position in your organization?

From: Gregory Conron <gconron_at_hfx.andara.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:46:00 -0400

> In our group we are the SA's. We have a small shop and the DBA's/SA's
> report to the Director of IS Operations. We also support the
> development
> teams and do some design work. Our primary responsibility is to keep
> the
> production systems up, available, and tuned. So, when conflicts between
> prod vs dev come up the production is primary.

Here the DBA's are smack-dab in the middle of the developers group (Dante's unwritten 10th circle of hell ... :) The logic is that the DBA's, being the Oracle experts, will be readily available to both answer any developer questions, and help to ensure the sql is written in the most efficient manner (especially since many of the developers are rather new to sql - $COMPANY is moving from y2k conversion contracts to outsourcing projects, so many intermediate and senior developers are somewhat junior when it comes to sql in general and Oracle in particular).

However, this is the exception in my career as a DBA - in the other shops I tended to be either both the sysadmin and DBA, or in the same area w/ the sysadmin/infrastructure group - locked away in the nice air-conditioned server room, away from humanity and interruptions.

Cheers,
GC

--
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite
of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."