RE: OFFTOPIC - Over-time pay (WAS: How to put egg on your face)

From: <Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:03:51 -0500

I'm getting curious now. I work as a consultant and lets just say that I make much more the 85k and I'm not even being billed out as a DBA. When I bill out as a DBA, I get about $20-$25 more an hour. I don't bill out at my current client because even though DBA work is 90% of my job, I was originally brought in as a developer and was retro-fitted into my current role about 2 years ago when they realized that I had the skills and they did not have anyone else in-house at the time.

Guess they like my performance because I am still here and was told only yesterday that there is about 2-3 years more work for me here. Anyway, I'm not complaining, I am very happy with my rates even if not being billed out at the correct rate. (for me, its not about money - I LOVE MY JOB).

But I have looked at several articles regarding salary and rates for Oracle DBAs and they all seem far below my rates. I wonder if its because I am in Philadelphia (not as expensive as New York). In New York, I'd need well over 100k for the cost of living increase.

I know a company in New Jersey that pays their Oracle DBAs $110k (full-time) and were complaining because they KNEW that they were offering below market value and were trying to find other *perks* to offer them in order to keep them at their company.

SO, I'm wondering what the gammit is for salaries/rates. Am I just being spoiled in this area? The reason I am asking is because in the future I will be relocating to Boston. Boston has a much higher cost of living and would require me to shoot for an at least 20% increase in my current rates in order to maintain my current standard of living. But I am not sure if this will be very reasonable based on figures I have been seeing on DBA rates and salaires.

So, are the articles undershooting the general populas? Or is demand just mucher lower in other areas. In Philly, the market is TERRIFIC for Oracle. Not many of us and people go WAY out the way to keep us.

Your thoughts?

Hannah

"Rachel Carmichael" <carmichr_at_hotmail.com> on 11/15/2000 09:30:44 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:
Subject: RE: OFFTOPIC - Over-time pay (WAS: How to put egg on your face)

as I said, it depends on the cost of living where you are.... you think it's Received on Thu Nov 16 2000 - 06:03:51 CST