RE: Production Issue: How to change the database name (sid)

From: <Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:37:23 -0500

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALL! Got it, DID it, both instances up and running perfectly.....

Thanks for all of the advice.....

     Now, I'll just write up a little procedure so I never have to ask again:>

     FYI       - create a dump to trace of the prod control file

- copy prod db files to test server (DELETE THE CONTROL FILES --- or
you have to type the whole script in again!) --- did it:>
- edit the script (Use SET OPTION, RESETLOGS, made sure file paths
correct for test environment etc).
- startup nomount db
- laboriously type the script into server manager (7.3.4) ARGH!!!!!!
----- a few million times:> gotta be a better way to do this!
- shutdown immediate db
- startup mount db
- alter db open resetlogs

- DONE:>

P.S.> after creating the controlfile, the db is still in nomount state, therefore could not
use ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS

since I did not need to recover the db, I did a shutdown immediate, then startup mount,
then the alter statement and it came right up. Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 10:37:23 CST