Re: Large exports on NT

From: Allan Davis Sahadeo <asahadeo_at_neal-and-massy.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:12:37 -0400

Moving a 4gig database from one server to another ( on the same os platform) via export/import is a rather long and dba involved process. Assuming that you want to remain on the same or higher version of Oracle, you can try compressing the oracle database files (datafiles, controlfiles & redo logs) and copying over to the new machine and uncompressing (for faster tranfer over slow lans). Using an "alter database backup controlfile to trace;" tracefile from the old database you can modify the trace (to point to the new locations of the datafiles, if they have changed) and run it as sys on the new machine. This I think would be much faster than export/import. Remember to set up the Oracle services and init.ora file before you attempt to startup the database.
Tell me what are your thoughts.
Allan.

P.S if you are moving to a higher version of oracle you will have to migrate the database.