RE: OCP8 - Performance Tuning

From: Michael Ray <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:14:23 -0800

Anjali,
I took the actual Oracle courses and had the STS software. That is all you = need to pass the 8 or 8i tests. I have done over 90% on the 4 8i tests = I've taken so far but I do study. 8i Tuning was my first exam and I did = 55/57 a week after I took the class.

It used to be they would ask questions that were not covered in the = course, but it is now mandated that any questions must be found in the = course book (though on the Network Admin test they really push that since = there is so little material).

If you have not had the course, some people find Couchman's book OK. But I = would find somebody nearby that would loan you the course books. If you = can't get any, at least download the Candidate Guide, which details what = each test can actually cover so you don't waste your time with "useless" = stuff.

On all the tests, make sure you take your time and read each question = carefully. Even on the last one I took, I'm sure I still made a couple = stupid mistakes because I only figured out 2 of the 5 questions I missed = (or thought I may miss). I write down and mark questionable ones as I go = since sometimes later questions will answer previous ones or at least = spark your memory. Then once I get my score report, I can figure out which = questions from those sections I probably missed and look up the answers = afterward.

Michael Ray
Oracle DBA
TRW, Marshall, IL
217-826-3011 x2438

>>> Robert.Hutchins_at_Staples.com 11/09/00 09:46AM >>>
This was a very tough exam compared to the Database Admin and backup and recovery exam. Study the concepts and all aspects of the consequences of how and what you do to obtain performance gains. Study your butt off!!!! Good luck!