RE: MAX_EXTENTS

From: Henry Poras <Henry.Poras_at_ctp.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:58:07 -0500

How about this? I thought that the maximum extent limit for a 2K database (7.3.4) was 121 extents. Apparantly not.

SQL> SELECT name, value
  2 FROM v$parameter
  3 WHERE name = 'db_block_size';

NAME

VALUE

db_block_size

2048

SQL> desc blocksize

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 INPUT                                    CHAR(100)

SQL> SELECT segment_name, segment_type, extents, max_extents   2 FROM dba_segments
  3 WHERE segment_name = 'BLOCKSIZE'
  4

SQL> / SEGMENT_NAME SEGMENT_TYPE EXTENTS MAX_EXTENTS

BLOCKSIZE    TABLE                     1         150

SQL> INSERT INTO blocksize VALUES ('A');

1 row created.

SQL> INSERT INTO blocksize SELECT * FROM blocksize   2 /

1 row created.

SQL> / 2048 rows created.

SQL> /
INSERT INTO blocksize SELECT * FROM blocksize *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01631: max # extents (150) reached in table SYSTEM.BLOCKSIZE

SQL> SELECT segment_name, segment_type, extents, max_extents   2 FROM dba_segments
  3 WHERE segment_name = 'BLOCKSIZE';

SEGMENT_NAME SEGMENT_TYPE EXTENTS MAX_EXTENTS

BLOCKSIZE    TABLE                   150         150