RE : INITTRANS parameter settings

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:03:14 +0100

Sonia,

   Depends first on how many different sessions you have (if this is done by a single batch program no need to worry - at least about INITRANS) and on whether the updates affect rows in the same blocks or not. For inserts, you'd be better off by increasing the number of free lists (to distribute inserts to different blocks and decrease contention). For updates, if the rows you update do not share the same blocks, no need to worry for tables. However, if you update indexed columns, it may be wise to increase INITRANS a wee bit for those indexes, since indexes are more 'compact' than table and there is an increased risk of two sessions hitting the same block. Check V$WAITSTAT and do not forget you may have contention on rollback segments too - don't forget them.

--
HTH,

  Stephane Faroult
  email: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com