Re: PL/SQL and file's permissions

From: John Kanagaraj <JKanagaraj_at_mfi.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 12:18:54 -0800

William Beilstein wrote:

> You might try
>
> host chown username:groupname /vol/dir/filename

NOT possible for a 'normal' user ('oracle' in this case?). Only the superuser (root) can change the ownership of a file/dir from one user to another.

> Can we change the owner and group on the flat file that I have created
> in stored procedures?

Luc, do you need read access for the other user only? If so, you can achieve this by setting the umask to 022 for 'oracle' (can pose other security problems, as it will expose dbf files to the 'world'). Alternately, have a cron job fix up the read permission. If tighter security is required, create a new group, and add 'oracle' as well as the other user into this group. After the file is created, 'oracle' should change the group ownership to this new group and change the read/write permissions for this group.

Let me know if this is gobbledegook and I will try and explain it further.

John Kanagaraj
http://www.geocities.com/john_sharmila

Disclaimer : The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect those of MFI or its associates Received on Fri Nov 03 2000 - 14:18:54 CST