RE: Sugguestions and Experiences with Character sets

From: Tom Tyson <tomtysonjr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:01:33 -0800 (PST)

Diana

Yes your database is what I was referring to :) , I believe I'm just about ready to go live.... I'd like to have a conference call with you to go over a few things before hand, basic db monitoring, backups stuff, etc.. I want to discuss switching all of the backups to RMAN as well, I've got everything scripted and ready to go. Glad to hear your happy with the UTF8 changes that were made to the database. Another DBA here is working with that client to discuss character set alternatives, the only reason I was thinking of suggesting UTF8 is the possibility they would require Japanese in the future.

Speaking of exporting and importing.. well thats how all this trouble began, his client attempted to export what they thought was German data out of US7ASCII database and import it into a WE8ISO8859P1 database, didn't work how they expected it...

Tom Tyson