How to drop datafile from tablespace and how to relocate the online temporary tablespace.

From: Chuan Zhang <chuan_at_asiaonline.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:57:17 +1000

Hi, All,

   I remove the datafile from tablespace by

"Alter database datafile 'file_name' offline drop"

I checked the file status was in "Recover" mode. Then I use unix "rm" to remove that file physically.

It works and everything hasn't been affected. But I cannot remove that file information from v$datafile or dba_data_files at all, even I shutdown and start that DB again.

The above is done in our test environment on Solaris 2.7 and Oracle 8.1.5.

If this is successful, I will use it to move the TEMPORARY tablespace to another location in our production. Because our production is 24*7, I cannot use the general way to relocate it.

Thanks for any help. Received on Fri Oct 27 2000 - 00:57:17 CDT