Re: Too many archive log

From: John Kanagaraj <JKanagaraj_at_mfi.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:56:50 -0700

Hi Larry,
> My database has 2 redo log groups and each group has 3 members.
> Each members size is 1 meg each.
>
> The problem is that archive logs are generated at a fast rate:

Looks like you need to drastically up the size of your redologs. Create additional logs say of size 100M or so and remove the old logs after the new ones switch in. You DONT want them switching every minute (or less as your listing indicates) - you want them switching every 5-15 minutes or so. I bet there is a huge load on your I/O subsystem when the log switches as there will be checkpointing at these times - that is mostly wasted I/O which serves no purpose for the user. You also need to determine if this is normal activity or an abnormal period. Also, are you in archivelog mode (I assume not..)

John Kanagaraj Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 11:56:50 CDT