RE: Errors wile PL/SQL EXEC

From: KLOPPING, JEFFREY L <jklopping_at_oppd.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:07:51 -0500

Check your default login.sql script...
also see below from metalink...

From: Oracle, Charles Blakey 18-Oct-00 16:22 Subject: Re : Encrypting a password field

Roy:

Oracle 8i Release2(8.1.6) provides enhanced security features. Among them is

the ability to encrypt data stored in the database. This means at the column

level such as encrypting chemical formulas, credit card numbers, passwords or
whatever data is sensitive to your business. Until now only Protegrity's 3rd

party product Secure.data had this capability. Oracle is now the only database
vendor in the world that provides this feature directly in the database and on
all platforms supporting 8.1.6. Protegrity supports only NT, HP-UX, Sun Solaris
and AIX.

How it works :

Oracle allows data to be encrypted and decrypted using the built in package DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT.
The package contains 4 procedures :
- 2 procedures that Encrypt VARCHAR2 and RAW data - 2 procedures that Decrypt VARCHAR2 and RAW data. To install the package :
1) connect as SYS and run dbmsobtk.sql and prvtobtk.plb 2) grant execute on dbms_obfuscation_toolkit to public

The functions accept 2 parameters : the data to encrypt or decrypt and the key
used for the encryption or decryption algorithm. A working example is shown below.

Limitations :

1)Data can only be encrypted using the DES(Data Encryption Standard)symmetric
key algorithm. When using symmetric key algorithms, once the data is encrypted
with a given key you cannot decrpyt without using the same key.

2)You can only encrypt using a 56-bit key. The key length limitation is a requirement of US regulations governing the export of cryptographic products.

3)You cannot double encrypt data meaning you cannot re-encrypt already encrpyted
data.

The current limitations will be improved in the next releases such as a bigger
choice of encryption algorithms and stronger Keys (128 bit). In any case, encrypting data inside the database should be part of a global security strategy that envolves access control such as using roles etc... You should also plan what to encrypt. Encrypting and decrypting entire tables
will increase CPU usage.

Regards...

Chuck