Re: Installing Designer 6.0 on NT

From: Michael Ray <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:13:07 -0700

--=_A6FE6A91.F4956AB9

You must install Designer first, then 816. Apparently this is a "feature" = several Oracle tools have, but my instructor did mention this in the = Designer class I took a couple weeks ago. They cannot share a home either.

Michael Ray
Oracle DBA
TRW, Marshall, IL
217-826-3011 x2438

>>> steve_at_pactr.com 10/26/00 04:41PM >>> I have embarked down a dark path. I have just installed Oracle 8.1.6 on = NT,
forsaking my familiar UNIX environment. Well actually that install and database creation went very well, but now I am attempting to install designer on the NT server as well. Actually I am just trying to get their preconfigured repository installed so I can use designer from a W98 workstation, and in attempting to do so I have installed designer on the Server as well.

My problem is this. When installing designer on the server it will not install to the same ORACLE_HOME as my 8.1.6 install. It says that Oracle Home is for 8.1.6 production, and asks for a different HOME. I comply, though I am not sure why it can't have the same home, and eventually I progress through the install only to get a message that I don't have an Oracle 8 enterprise edition database up and running. The Oracle 8i = database
Installed above is indeed an enterprise edition.

Is this a problem with the designer 6 media being incompatible with the 8i database? Anyone see this before?

--=_A6FE6A91.F4956AB9

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV><FONT size=1>You must install Designer first, then 816. Apparently this is
a "feature" several Oracle tools have, but my instructor did mention this in the Designer class I took a couple weeks ago. They cannot share a home either.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Michael Ray<BR>Oracle DBA<BR>TRW, Marshall, IL<BR>217-826-3011
x2438</FONT><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; steve_at_pactr.com 10/26/00 04:41PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>I have embarked down a dark path.&nbsp; I have just installed Oracle 8.1.6 on NT,<BR>forsaking my familiar UNIX environment.&nbsp; Well actually that install and<BR>database creation went very well, but now I am attempting to install<BR>designer on the NT server as well.&nbsp; Actually I am just trying to get their<BR>preconfigured repository installed so I can use designer from a W98<BR>workstation, and in attempting to do so I have installed designer on the<BR>Server as well.<BR><BR>My problem is this.&nbsp; When installing designer on the server it will not<BR>install to the same ORACLE_HOME as my 8.1.6 install.&nbsp; It says that Oracle<BR>Home is for 8.1.6 production, and asks for a different HOME.&nbsp; I comply,<BR>though I am not sure why it can't have the same home, and eventually I<BR>progress through the install only to get a message that I don't have an<BR>Oracle 8 enterprise edition database up and running.&nbsp; The Oracle 8i database<BR>Installed above is indeed an enterprise edition.<BR><BR>Is this a problem with the designer 6 media being incompatible with the 8i<BR>database?&nbsp; Anyone see this Received on Thu Oct 26 2000 - 16:13:07 CDT